Friday, December 16, 2005

More Buttars !!! Outlaw Gay Clubs.

Buttars wants to pass a bill to outlaw gay clubs in public schools. This issue was answered pretty strongly when in 1995, a group of East High students asked to form a gay-straight alliance, resulting in a firestorm of debate over homosexuality. The issue made it into a lawsuit and eventually East High and other districts in Salt Lake County relented allowing such clubs to exist. I was unaware that these clubs are all over Salt Lake Valley. McCoy of the ACLU called Buttars timing curious, " 'I suppose it has to do with the Provo (High alliance and) being an election year.' It is not unusual for some Republicans to introduce conservative, moral legislation in an election year, and if Democratic lawmakers vote against the bills then GOP challengers have an issue to take after the Democratic incumbents. "

I appreciate what Buttars wants, however I disagree with him. Buttars used this reasoning when he announced the bill. " I'm concerned about gay clubs. In my mind, if you are in the chess club, what do you talk about? Chess. If you are in the dance club, what do you talk about? Dance. If you are in a gay club, what do you talk about? I just don't believe members of sexual orientation clubs should be sanctioned by the public schools what they are talking about even a part of the public schools. They should not be allowed to have that on school property at all. It's just wrong." Give me a break! How does he view these clubs -- some kind of gay brothel in public schools. However we live in the real world where there are kids that struggle with these issues. Although I believe homosexuality is immoral, I can't dismiss the clubs as septic pools of immorality. These kids have to deal with depressionn, low self-esteem, and persecution from other students they deserve the right to assemble for support.

Senator Buttars, I don't know what kind of sterile bubble you live in. I don't know if West Jordan is that kind of town. People have different back grounds, opinions, and ideas. Your "more holiness give me" approach to life may be a great way to live and perfect ideal to preach in church, but as a voter your desire to eliminate any opposing ideas is a turnoff -- its almost Hitler-esque.

No comments: